- Yuki: "By the way, why are they called the F4?"
- Tsukushi: "That's the funny part! It means "the Flowery Four"! They think they're flowers!"
- — The meaning behind the F4's name.[src]
They attended the elite school Eitoku Academy, which they gained control of by high school.
- Tsukasa Domyoji — the de facto leader and rich heir to Domyoji Group.
- Rui Hanazawa — the mysterious heir to Hanazawa Company, who keeps to himself.
- Sojiro Nishikado — the playboy son of a traditional Japanese tea master.
- Akira Mimasaka — the heir to a trading business, who prefers the company of older women.
Behind the scenes
- The F4 make their first appearance as a group in the first chapter of the manga, Boys Over Flowers.
- Originally the F4 were suppose to be the "F5", when Yoko Kamio proposed the idea to her editor. However, while drawing the first color spread, she could only fit in four boys thus turning the "F5" to F4.
- The group is voiced by Takuya Kimura (SMAP), Takumi Nishio, Nobuo Tobita, and Koyasu Takehito in the three Hana Yori Dango drama CDs. They were the first people to voice the F4.
- The F4 is portrayed by by Shosuke Tanihara, Naohito Fujiki, Kensaku Saeki, and Koichi Hashizume in the Hana Yori Dango film, their first live-action appearance. The group has a fan club in this version with a high membership fee. When Tsukushi refuses to join the club, Tsukasa gives her a red card and bullies her. Similar to the manga, Akira and Sojiro are given significantly less screen time than Tsukasa and Rui.
- Jerry Yan (Dao Ming Si), Vic Chou (Hua Ze Lei), Ken Chu (Xi Men), and Vanness Wu (Mei Zuo) portray the F4 in Meteor Garden, Meteor Rain, and Meteor Garden II. They also formed the boy band, F4, after the breakout success of the first drama in 2001. Shueisha allowed the group to use the name until 2007, when they asked them to rename themselves. The group's producer settled on JVKV from the members initials.
- The F4 are portrayed by Jun Matsumoto, Shun Oguri, Shota Matsuda, and Tsuyoshi Abe in the 2005 Japanese drama, its sequel, and the film.
- In 2009, Lee Min-ho (Gu Jun-pyo), Kim Hyun-joong (Yoon Ji-hoo), Kim Bum (So Yi-jung), and Kim Joon (Song Woo-bin) appear in the Korean drama adaptation as the F4. The drama enjoyed good ratings and is often said to have launched the career of lead actor, Lee Min-ho. They are often referred to as "flower boys" or "pretty boys" (kkotminam, lit. "men as beautiful as flowers").
- In the unauthorized Chinese adaptation, Meteor Shower the F4 was renamed "H4". The H4 are played by Hans Zhang (Murong Yunhai), Yu Haoming (Duanmu Lei), Zhu Zixiao (Shangguan Ruiqian), and Wei Chen (Ye Shuo). The circumstances and personalities of the group are changed for legal reasons since the producers did not obtain the rights to Boys Over Flowers. In the story, Shangguan Ruiqian, Ye Shuo, and Duanmu Lei attend Aliston College. Murong Yunhai transfers to the school and locks horns with the leader, Ruiqian. The four eventually become friends and unite under a common goal, making Yunhai the new leader.
- The Indian television series, Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan, which was based on the Korean Boys Over Flowers changes the F4 to "Fab 5". Parth Samthaan (Manik Malhotra), Utkarsh Gupta (Dhruv Vedant), Charlie Chauhan (Mukti Vardhan), Ayaz Ahmed (Cabir Dhawan), and Krissann Barretto (Alya Saxena) play the Fab 5. The group could be considered the most unique rendition by adding one more member and three of the five members not having a clear counterpart. Samthaan and Gupta are the equivalents of Tsukasa and Rui, while Ahmed and Chauhan share characteristics with Akira and Sojiro. Barretto is distinctly original, being the girlfriend of Manik for part of the show.
- The F4 are the central characters of the dating simulation games, Hana Yori Dango: Another Love Story, Hana Yori Dango: Koi Seyo Otome! and Hana Yori Dango: F4 and First Kiss. In Koi Seyo Otome!, they are voiced by Takahiro Sakurai, Mamoru Miyano, Ryotaro Okiayu, and Takashi Kondo. The player is able to date any member of the F4 in all the games.
- Yuya Matsushita, Jin Shirasu, Mackenyu, and Ryuji Kamiyama appear as the F4 in Hana Yori Dango: The Musical. The made their first official appearance as the F4 at the Tokyo Game Show to also promote Hana Yori Dango: F4 and First Kiss on September 19, 2015.