- "I-I'm sorry Tsukushi. I know you were helping me...but..."
- —Makiko apologizes to Tsukushi.[src]
Makiko Endo (
Makiko was born into a middle-class family. She enrolled into Eitoku Academy, most likely at the senior high level. During her first year of high school, she was in Class 2-C with another lower-class student, Tsukushi Makino. They became friends.
While walking down the stairs with Tsukushi one day, Makiko fell and landed on the F4's leader, Tsukasa Domyoji. Makiko tried to apologize, but Tsukasa ignored her appeals. Tsukushi protected her, resulting in Tsukushi receiving the red card instead of Makiko. She began to avoid to Tsukushi, however Makiko felt bad when the other students started to bully her. To apologize, Makiko found Tsukushi's desk and returned it to her.
Later, Makiko seemed to disappear from Eitoku, possibly transferring to a different school.
Physical appearanceMakiko had a bob hairstyle with short bangs on the right side of her face. She was a typical high school girl with a somewhat plain face. Makiko was only shown wearing the Eitoku Academy uniform.
Personality and traits
She had a naïve and sweet personality, seen in her interactions with other students. Unlike Tsukushi, Makiko admired her rich classmates, including Yuriko Asai. Makiko genuinely wanted to be friends with Tsukushi, however her personality was not strong enough to handle the wrath of the F4. She did show some courage though, when she returned Tsukushi's desk.
Behind the scenes
- See also: Category:Makiko Endo portrayals
- Makiko appears in the first two chapters of Boys Over Flowers.
- As a joke in chapter two hundred and twenty-two, Tsukushi mentions that Makiko has "disappeared". It is a reference to Makiko's obvious absence after chapter two.
- She is given a more prominent role in the anime, appearing throughout the entirety of the series. Fuko Misaki provided Makiko's voice in the anime and the anime film.
- A version of Makiko, renamed Li Zhen, is portrayed by Ann Yeh in Meteor Garden (2001). Similar to other dramas, Li Zhen is a combination of Makiko and Sakurako Sanjo. However, she shares more traits with Makiko, including her financial status and the majority of her personality.
- Some of her character traits and actions are combined with Sakurako Sanjo in the 2005 drama, Hana Yori Dango. Sakurako is portrayed by Megumi Sato in the drama.
- Makiko is portrayed by Asami Ishii in the 2016 musical adaptation of Boys Over Flowers. Kim June-hee portrays her in the Korean version.
|Boys Over Flowers|