Meteor Garden (Chinese: 流星花園; pinyin: Liúxīng Huāyuán) is a Taiwanese drama based on the Japanese manga Boys Over Flowers by Yoko Kamio. The series stars Barbie Hsu as Shan Cai, who is bullied by the F4, played by Jerry Yan, Vic Chou, Vanness Wu, and Ken Chu. It was directed by Tsai Yueh Hsun and produced by Angie Chai.
The drama was premiered on April 12, 2001 on CTS. It was followed by a side story, Meteor Rain in 2001, and a sequel, Meteor Garden II in 2002. A Meteor Garden reboot, also produced by Angie Chai, is set for 2018.
Dong Shan Cai (Barbie Hsu), a commoner, attends Ying De University, a college populated by the rich and ruled by the F4. Shan Cai challenges the F4's leader, Dao Ming Si (Jerry Yan) by standing up for her friend, Li Zhen (Ann Yeh). For her defiance, a red notice, the F4's calling card, is placed in her locker. The student body bullies her relentlessly, before she openly declares war on the F4.
Cast and characters
- Barbie Hsu as Dong Shan Cai (Tsukushi Makino)
- Jerry Yan as Dao Ming Si (Tsukasa Domyoji)
- Vic Chou as Hua Ze Lei (Rui Hanazawa)
- Ken Chu as Xi Men (Sojiro Nishikado)
- Vanness Wu as Mei Zuo (Akira Mimasaka)
- Rainie Yang as Xiao You (Yuki Matsuoka)
- Edward Ou as Chen Qing He (Kazuya Aoike)
- Dong Zhi Cheng as Shan Cai's father (Haruo Makino)
- Wang Yue as Shan Cai's mother (Chieko Makino)
- Winnie Chien as Teng Tang Jing (Shizuka Todo)
- Ann Yeh as Li Zhen (Makiko Endo)
- Belinda Cheng as Bai He (Yuriko Asai)
- Zhang Ruo Zhen as Qian Hui (Erika Ayuhara)
|Important Note: there are several different cuts of Meteor Garden. Based on air dates and some DVD releases, the official episode count is likely 19. However, the most common version to find online is the 27 episode cut.|
Meteor Garden first aired from April 12, 2001 to August 16, 2001 on Thursdays on CTS. It was directed by Tsai Yueh Hsun and produced by Angie Chai. Two sequels to the drama, Meteor Rain and Meteor Garden II aired in 2001 and 2002.
|September 3, 2004||Box 1 and 2 details|
Special Box details
|July 24, 2009||Set details|
- Main article: Meteor Garden Original Soundtrack
The soundtrack to Meteor Garden was released on 2001 on CD and VCD+DVD. It features the theme songs to Meteor Garden, "Qing Fei De Yi" ("Can't Help Falling for You") by Harlem Yu and "Ni Yao De Ai" ("The Love You Want") by Penny Tai, as well as several English songs, including "Love of My Life" by Queen and "Perfect Moment" by Martine McCutcheon. Zheng Jun's cover of Coldplay's "Yellow" is also on the soundtrack.