Sakurako Sanjo (
Sakurako attended Eitoku Academy from kindergarten to first grade. During kindergarten, she developed a crush on Tsukasa Domyoji, who rejected Sakurako because of her looks. Sometime after, she moved with her parents to Germany for her father's job, where she met her friend Thomas. Years later, her parents died in a plane crash and she moved in with her grandparents. Sakurako began living off her inheritance and had plastic surgery done to become attractive.
Sakurako moved back to Japan and transferred back to Eitoku as a freshman.
Personality and traits
Behind the scenes
- See also: Category:Sakurako Sanjo portrayals
- Sakurako is a major antagonist and later supporting character in Boys Over Flowers. She first appears in chapter seventeen.
- She appears in the 1995 Hana Yori Dango film as a minor antagonist portrayed by Kaori Sakagami. The character has some similarities with Sakurako, such as her initial kindness and later jealousy of Tsukushi. However, the character is the leader of the mean girl group and often performs actions close to Yuriko Asai's in the manga. She has also had some plastic surgery.
- In Meteor Garden Sakurako's character is combined with Makiko Endo. Li Zhen resembles Makiko closer, including her personality and being a poor student. She develops feelings for Dao Ming Si (Tsukasa) and tries to sabotage his relationship with Shan Cai (Tsukushi), like Sakurako.
- Megumi Sato portrays Sakurako in Hana Yori Dango (2005). She is friends with Tsukushi and takes on Makiko's role, including angering Tsukasa, which leads to Tsukushi protecting her. Sakurako is in love with Tsukasa and tries seduce him, but fails. In retaliation, she kidnaps Tsukushi, an action that mirrors Junpei Oribe's from the manga. After the incident, Sakurako begins to admire Tsukushi and wants to stay friends, though she still continues pursuing Tsukasa.
- Sato returns as Sakurako in a cameo appearance in the first and last episodes of Hana Yori Dango Returns (2007), and the film, Hana Yori Dango Final (2008).