Yoko Kamio is a mangaka (manga artist) best known for creating the shojo series, Boys Over Flowers in 1992. She has written and illustrated over seven series, such as Cat Street and Crown of Thorns, and several short stories, including "End of the Century" and "Night of the Crescent Moon". Kamio is currently working on Boys Over Flowers Season 2, which is published online on Shonen Jump+.
Kamio penned several short stories and one series before Boys Over Flowers, including the five-volume Mary-san no Hijitsu in 1991. She followed her romantic-comedy Boys Over Flowers with the serious drama, Cat Street in 2004. Kamio is also the author of Matsuri Special, Tora to Okami, and Crown of Thorns.
Before she graduated from college in 1986, Yoko Kamio debuted with the short story, "I'll Remain 20 While I Wait for You" (
Mary-san no Hijitsu
Kamio began serializing her first long series around 1991. The series, Mary-san no Hijitsu (
Boys Over Flowers
- Main article: Boys Over Flowers
In 1992, Yoko Kamio began publishing her hit manga Boys Over Flowers in the March issue of Margaret. The series centers around pauper, Tsukushi Makino at the prestigious Eitoku Academy. The school is controlled by four boys, Tsukasa Domyoji, Rui Hanazawa, Sojiro Nishikado, and Akira Mimasaka, known as the F4. Tsukushi stands up to the clique's leader, Tsukasa, who falls in love with her. The story ran for two-hundred and forty-one chapters, ending in 2003.
It won the 41st Shogakukan Manga Award for the shojo category in 1996. The series is currently the best-selling shojo manga of all time, having sold over 53 million copies with a total of 61 million copies in circulation.
Kamio followed Boys Over Flowers with a "serious manga", Cat Street (
Kamio ended the series a side story titled, "It's Not the End of the World - Another Cat Street" (
Matsuri Special (
|1||June 4, 2008||408874599X||
|2||November 4, 2008||4088745396||
|3||June 4, 2009||4088746570||
|4||November 4, 2009||4088747550||
Tora to Okami
Tora to Okami (
Crown of Thorns
Kamio began her manga, Crown of Thorns (
Boys Over Flowers Season 2
- Main article: Boys Over Flowers Season 2
Yoko Kamio launched the sequel to Boys Over Flowers, titled Boys Over Flowers Season 2, on February 15, 2015 on Shonen Jump+. The series is released biweekly on Sundays. It is also her first manga to be published simultaneously in Japan and America. The story centers around Oto Edogawa as she tries to avoid being kicked out of Eitoku Academy for being a "peasant".
- "Waiting Until 20" (The Margaret No.19 - 1986)
- "End of the Century" (Margaret No.3-4 - January 1992)
- "Story of an Encounter" (Margaret No.19 - September 2000)
- "Night of the Crescent Moon" (Margaret No.1 - December 2003)
- France Story (Margaret No.15 - July 2006)
- "Shall I Talk About Myself? Part 1" (Margaret No.3-4 - January 2008)
- "Shall I Talk About Myself? Part 2" (Margaret No.5 - February 2008)
- "It's Not the End of the World - Another Cat Street" (Bessatsu Margaret - August 2008)
- "Matsuri Special SP" (Deluxe Margaret - July 2009)
- "Tora to Okami" (Bessatsu Margaret No.12 - December 2009)
- "Ringo Banana Gyunyu" (Margaret No.2 - December 2013)